Dear Mr. Jeff Mariotte,
I have to tell you something.
First off all, thank you for creating a main character who is traditionally attractive. As if we didn't have enough female protagonists with long, shiny hair and gorgeous bodily proportions. Of course she must also be moderately sarcastic, just enough to give the impression of being intelligent but not too caustic because then she might actually be an interesting main character without the help of supporting male characters. Naturally, when a male stranger shows up on her summer share house's lawn covered in blood and barely conscious, she must feel inexplicably drawn to him; when he makes the odd request "No doctors," she immediately complies, and even tells her flatmates to restrain themselves from doing something sane and, you know, calling the police. And where would your story be without this Kerry Proffit caring for her cancer-stricken mother, so she feels she must care for the stranger too, all the while describing him as "quite attractive in a dark, smoky sort of way." Gee, never heard that before.
The point I'm trying to make is, your narrator, your main freaking character, the first person we meet when we open your book, is so cookie cutter and unimaginative that she depends on the male characters to make the book interesting. That infuriates me. She never even listens to reason--just Daniel! He could be a serial killer, but at least he's an attractive psychopath, right?
Not only that, Mr. Tall Dark and Typical, Daniel Blessing? His back-story is so pathetic, you might as well have left it out. It's not often I hate so vehemently on a book, but really? During the spring of 1704, Season (the witch) was accused of witchcraft. Season destroyed the town, leaving only one person to survive. Well, three. D-Bless's mother was pregnant at the time with twins. Three hundred years later, his mother and brother have died in the fight to end Season. Daniel, the lone hero, must continue to pursue her all alone...
You see where I'm going with this? One, his background exists only to excite the pity of Kerry, so she can follow him around and never question his motives, and two, why is Kerry feeling pity for a guy who got his family killed on a vendetta? Dan the man said so himself, Season is too powerful for him to handle. So why must he go about trying to kill her? He's lived for 300 years and can perform feats of magic that mortal minds can't truly comprehend. He could be rich and happy forever, and his mom and brother could have survived along with him!
So basically, your plotline could very well be interesting, but you haven't really thought about how you should write your characters. To me, as a reader, it was painful to turn every page and just wallow in the typical romance that blossoms. I don't mean to offend you, but frankly the way you wrote your female protagonist angers me. Why did her life have to change after she met a boy? Why does she have to be a dull character without the plot and the men?
Your Offended Female Reader,
Tanvi Jagtap




















I read every word. This is the main reason why I'm having trouble reading my book. It's truly amazing how sharp a feminist's senses are. I'm sure a lot of people, including the author, didn't think of this. I usually say in my comments that I'll look into reading a book, but I will not in this case.
ReplyDeleteGrace S.
P.S. This is the first good post I've read in a while. Thank you!
I couldn't have said it any better. Finally I see a great post based of the typical romance story. I guess we can never look at the overall plot line then we would see that almost every book is just "the typical book". This was a pretty amazing post. And probably saved me from reading a book where I would be offended for like the whole entire time I'm reading it.
ReplyDeleteThanks c: