Tanvi's books

Angels & Demons
And Then There Were None
Virals
The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
His Dark Materials
Eragon
The Amulet of Samarkand
The Hunger Games
Ella Enchanted
A Wrinkle in Time
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lightning Thief
The Giver
Holes
The Hobbit
The Outsiders
The Fault in Our Stars
Bridge to Terabithia
Looking for Alaska


Tanvi Jagtap's favorite books »

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Going Bovine, by Libba Bray

The most important line from Chapter 15 is...

"And some little atoms come awake inside me, swirling into a question I can't shake: 'Why the hell not?' I could have a chance. And a chance is better than nothing." (pg 123)

Perhaps you'd like a little background first. Going Bovine is a book about a guy named Cameron who discovers that he's sick with mad cow disease. It's fatal. But the book takes a completely different turn than you'd expect. Cameron is visited by an angel in the hospital, who, instead of sending him on a journey of acceptance and enlightenment, assigns him a mission: Find Dr. X, get him to close the wormhole he opened before he tears apart the world, and grab the cure that Dr. X has for his disease.

This line is the moment Cam realizes he's got nothing to lose, and, if he succeeds in this mission, everything to gain. If Cam hadn't had this itching feeling that this wasn't a hallucination brought on by his condition, if he hadn't thought "Well, why not?", then the entire book wouldn't have happened. Cameron would have wasted away on his hospital bed, and the world soon after would have been destroyed by beings from another world. This is the exact moment Cam decides he's going to save the world.


5 comments:

  1. This book sounds totally awesome. :D So do you know if the author has anything personal about Mad Cow Disease? Overall, the book sounds like a great blend of sci fi and real info. Wormholes have always been cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you reading that in History and I think its sounds like a wicked awesome book! I placed a hold on it just now. I wonder what other books (if any) the author has written... It sort of reminds me of the movie "Elysium".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, this book has a lot to offer but I feel like the crazy plot mentioned is what keeps the book going and I love the problem the character has- A mad cow disease. Something new so its sounds different. After all, how many others books have something to do with a mad cow disease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This book sounds almost as confusing as it is interesting. Dr. X seems like a sketchy guy, but hey- kudos to Cameron for being brave enough to accept the mission. I'm curious about the setting. Is the book in the past, present, or future?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you started this post with a quote and then went back and explained it. It was a good hook to get people to read your post. This book seems really interesting!

    ReplyDelete