Tanvi's books

Angels & Demons
And Then There Were None
Virals
The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
His Dark Materials
Eragon
The Amulet of Samarkand
The Hunger Games
Ella Enchanted
A Wrinkle in Time
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lightning Thief
The Giver
Holes
The Hobbit
The Outsiders
The Fault in Our Stars
Bridge to Terabithia
Looking for Alaska


Tanvi Jagtap's favorite books »

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Story Time, by Edward Bloor

Story Time, in short, is a book about standardized testing. "Oh, gross!", you say. This is why one should never reduce a book to a phrase.

Right, so. Story Time is actually about two kids, George and Kate. George is in 6th grade, and is 8th grader Kate's uncle. George is a genius, Kate is rebellious. There's a demon too.

George gets chosen to attend the best school in the country, Whittaker Magnet School, and because he and Kate live in the same duplex, she is invited to join too.

So, they join. Who wouldn't? Well, Kate wouldn't, but her original public school can't accept her now that her house is suddenly inside Whittaker's school district lines. Suspicious...?

Of course it's suspicious. Everything about the school is either beyond boring or totally weird. None of the teachers are addressed by name, only by the subject and the grade level they teach (it might distract from learning). And whatever '"learning" that is happening there consists of tests after tests after tests. That's the whole curriculum! I'll give you a moment to weep in a dark corner of your closet. It's a terrifying thought, I know. Feel free to binge on macaroni and cheese from a box and become a hermit.

Still don't believe me? You have a strong stomach. Here's what the principal has to say about the curriculum: "So, your next question is, What will I be getting in return? I can tell you in three words: Test-Based Curriculum.Your children will soon understand the intricacies of standardized tests better than the people who write them. They will be the top test takers in America." (pg 62)

Top test takers? What? They sit around and learn how to test? Ugh. Sarah McLachlan, I have some new victims for your commercials. I'm getting teary-eyed thinking about it.

They are literally not taught anything that isn't on a test. One teacher, English 8, had one harmless poster about Shakespeare. Too bad, mate. Standardized Tests don't have Shakespearean literature in their testing materials. They sacked him for distracting the kids.

But, thank god, this book is actually a satirical work. It calls the school systems of the world out on just teaching kids how to pass a test, and not how to learn and enjoy learning. I think you guys can relate to that. How many times are we taught something only so we get good grades on tests? How many times do teacher's favorites get better grades than the other students?.

I seriously recommend this book not only because it's quite funny,  but because it addresses an educational issue. While reading this book, I get this feeling of understanding. I understand this book. This book understands me. It's very satisfying.

Plus, there's a demon on the loose and several creepy librarians.

Several.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really great book. I love things that are laughable but those are always kind of hard to find. I was kind of confused in the beginning when you said
    "George is in 6th grade, and is 8th grader Kate's uncle.". Is George in 6th and 8th grade? Is Kate in 8th grade and George in 6th?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, George is in 6th grade and Kate (his niece) is in 8th grade. Sorry for the confusion!

      Delete