Surprise!
I have finished Dragon's Keep already, and have now started on another book. I'm so proud of myself, and dread the day this streak ends in a pit of fiery book hiatus.
Before you laugh at me for reading a book directed to an age group I surpassed two years ago, let me explain. My brother got this book from the library because it's the newest (and last) installment to the Artemis Fowl saga, a series I loved when I was younger. I had accompanied him into the library and I got Dragon's Keep while I was there. And I finished it within two days. Now he's moved on to another book, having read Artemis Fowl in one day, and I needed something to read.
What was I to do? I obviously started reading it, and got sucked into the fantastic universe that I had loved not two winters ago. I love Artemis, and his sassy intelligence. I love the valiant Captain Holly Short and her affinity for burning rulebook upon rulebook.
And I feel guilty.
I cannot count the number of times I've slid the book back into my bag so one of you lot won't see what I'm reading (so obviously, to preserve the book's anonymity I'm writing a blog post about it). I constantly divert questions away from what I'm reading so I won't have to hear, "Oh, I used to love that series!"
I've seen so many of you reading mature books, with adult characters and deep reflections into the meaning of life and love and family. When was the last time you reread a book or series you used to love, just for the heck of it? Not to look cool, not to read what your friends read, not to appear well-adjusted and grown up?
I know I'm not talking about the book Artemis Fowl itself, and I'm sorry. But I think we'd all be happier if reading a book from your past wasn't so uncool and childish. We don't always do it to enjoy the book like we enjoy books for older audiences.
I remember the first couple chapters of this book, my mind automatically generating the old mental image I had for Artemis. The first couple chapters were the best, because it was pure childish joy. I just basked in the memories of my childhood and all the little things that author Eoin Colfer includes that make the series so well known.
I think we all need to read a book from our childhood to remember what it was like to love characters unconditionally, or we'll forget why we ever read in the first place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




















I swear sometimes we are the same person. Lately I've been having a reading flashback with Harry Potter, Mysterious Benedict Society, and Alex Rider & THE LAST SENTENCE OF THIS BLOG MAKES ME WANT TO MARRY YOU, it perfectly captures what I've been feeling for the last few weeks. We should pick old books for eachother to read dude. I love the little lessons books taught to you as you were young because they're something us as teens often forget. Everyone could use a little time to catch up with past-them. ;D
ReplyDelete