Yes, I know, it's incredible. I've actually started a new book. That's right, folks; I have finished a book and started another one.
It's unprecedented. Sort of.
Dragon's Keep is about a princess prophesied to restore her family's honor on the throne. The only problem is, one of her fingers is a dragon claw. How is she supposed to be a good wife, mother and queen if one of her fingers is an actual, scaly, real life dragon claw? I'm not that far in yet, but the summary on the back cover reveals that there's a dragon plaguing their island kingdom, and this dragon captures Princess Rosalind. But, instead of eating her, he finds her dragon claw fascinating.
This is huge. Never in Rosalind's life has her claw ever been called anything other than a problem, a deformity, a mark of the devil. When something so savage and cruel tells her that her claw is, well, cool, she experiences a feeling that she's never even thought about feeling. Hope.
I predict that she'll eventually come back to her kingdom stronger and more prepared to be a good leader than she was before, because she'll understand that physical markings aren't a sign of true power. I also hope that the author doesn't get rid of her claw, but rather the people that think her claw is disgusting. If the claw were removed, then the message of the story almost becomes "Accept yourself for who you are so your flaws will disappear," rather than "Accept your flaws so you can live your life knowing your flaws are what make you so fantastically you."
And, obviously, I hope the dragon continues to kick some serious medieval butt.




















I like how you use alot of voice in your blog. Good Job finishing your first book.
ReplyDeleteI like how you ended this blog post. But seriously, nice job with the mix of formal and informal diction.
ReplyDelete